The Life of Amy

Friday, April 8, 2011

Another Busy Week (Warning: LONG Post Ahead)

Well it's been a long week. My middle school was on spring break (meaning I got Monday, Wednesday, and Friday off from interning), but I was still super busy. Monday I went for a bike ride in the warm sun, but spent most of the afternoon/evening writing ANOTHER paper that was due Tuesday. Talk about brain dead! This time though, I took my computer, biked to my parents' house and wrote the paper in the backyard, which was a very nice change from my little studio apartment. And of course Ellie hung with me, but in the shade. OH I also decorated a little for Easter and picked up my cap and gown for graduation!

I <3 Biking

Can't live these days without my laptop!

My little girl :)

Eggs Momma got me

Chickie and Bunny

I feel like Harry Potter in this thing

Tuesday (my long, dreaded day) was same old, same old. Interned at the high school all day, then class all night. I had my final presentation (3 of them, 3 weeks in a row) in my first class and turned my paper in the second class/did some role playing activities. We are all super burnt out after that portfolio last week and you can tell by the drained look on all of our faces. BUT, my fingers are crossed until the 15th... the big day I find out if I passed or not! Please send good thoughts my way!!!



Then Wednesday. A few months back I volunteered to participate in "Challenge Day" at a middle school close to my apartment (my boyfriend actually went to school there YEARS ago, haha sorry babe). Well this experience was incredibly eye-opening and life-changing. If you have never heard of "Challenge Day" it has been featured on Oprah and MTV, not to mention various other news shows and movies. Go on these links for more info:

http://www.challengeday.org/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRPRFX5l0U0

It was incredible. A few of us LMU grad students attended and served as adult/group leaders. I have to say I was really nervous because I was given no training or really even a heads-up on what I was going to be doing. But the day turned out to be truly amazing.

It was awesome to wear jeans and Vans for a change! No heels or dress pants. Hooray!

With my dear friend Liz

And my friend Jason was there too

The day started with a quick 30 minute adult briefing. Basically there were a few things we needed to know...every time one of the facilitators (there were 2) said "Let's play a game" we were supposed to start screaming and doing every crazy dance move we could think of. The whole point was to show the kids that we were fun and could easily be on their level. It was pretty embarrassing, but the students laughed really hard each time. Then, we were told that we would lead a group of 4-5 students in what was called a "small family group" and if any of the kids divulged certain harmful information, we needed to make a mental note and share later. The main point though was to concentrate on having fun and keeping them energized throughout the day.



So the kids came in and we pulled out our best dance moves (there were about 130 participants, adults + students, total). Then the morning consisted of ice breakers, introductions, silly games, and more dancing. The kids were all smiles and very friendly. After a few hours of having fun we got into the deeper issues. The facilitators told some very moving life stories to start out and then we broke into our "small family groups" to begin our own conversations. I had a female high school student, 2 middle school boys, and 2 middle school girls. We each had 2 minutes to go around and say the following, "If you really knew me...." and then had to finish the sentence over and over. I cannot disclose any of the actual information, but I was moved to tears almost immediately. These kids had it pretty rough for being so young.

After, we had lunch and did a few more games. Then it was time for the big activity we had all been waiting for, "Cross the Line." Everyone (adults and students) stand on one side of the room and the facilitator reads out a sentence. If the situation applies to you, you cross the line and see who is with you and who is on the other side of the room still. Here are some examples:

- Cross the line if you have ever been teased about your appearance
- Cross the line if someone close to you has died
- Cross the line if you know someone who struggles with addiction
- Cross the line if your parents are divorced or seperated
- Cross the line if you know someone who has committed suicide

Etc. By the end, almost everyone (myself included) was crying. I wasn't crying for me, but I was crying at the number of kids who crossed the line each time. On all of the questions above half or more crossed the line. What kind of world are we really living in today? This is why I want to work with kids to help make a difference, just to make their lives a little better, even in a small way.

The day ended with lots of love and hugs. I was hugged over 100 times. It was amazing and I hope the kiddies got as much out of the day as I did.


I was unbelievably drained after the day, but still had to meet with my friend Melissa to go over some school stuff for next week (we have to present a pilot project to the middle school, one of our LMU class assignments). We got school things done and then had a little relaxing/venting time together.


It's so important to have friends to help get you through :)

Then I went to my parents' house and told them about my day and how thankful I am to have had such a wonderful childhood and family. LOVE YOU BOTH SOOOOO MUCH!

Thursday was uneventful, I was still just recovering. Late in the day, I went for a nice afternoon jog down at the beach. It was about to rain, but I got lucky and it held out. Cool picture I took with my phone:


Then I made dinner for Kevin and we watched the movie "Misery."

Gotta love old Stephen King movies!

Now... TGIF!! I had the whole day off and it has been fabulous! I cleaned the apartment, did a bunch of laundry, and then went on a 2 hour bike ride from Playa to Redondo Beach and back, down on the bike path. It was kind of chilly, but it was so nice to be outside in the fresh air, getting exercise. Now I am home relaxing and watching an old Project Runway marathon. I hope everyone has a great weekend! XO


PS. GRADUATION IS IN ONE MONTH!!! WOOOOHOOOOO

No comments:

Post a Comment